We have a weight estimator you can view that will help you judge how much weight you have to move. It was designed for our Military customers, but we adapted it for you to use. You simply put the number of pieces of furniture you are shipping and the calulator adds the average amount of packing weight for the boxes you will have when you are ready to move. It simplifies your estimating by eliminating the need to list the number of boxes. It is important to note that this is simply a tool to do a preliminary analysis of your weight and does not eliminate the need for an in home survey to get a better estimate or your weight and move requirements. You must have MS Excel of Excel compatible program on your computer for the file to function properly.
Here are some averages you can use to help determine cubic footage needed to load a do it yourself shipment:
1. Divide the total estimated weight by 7 to determine how many cubic feet the full container you will need.
Example: 3500 lbs divided by 7 = 500 cubic feet needed. It is important to note that you will probably require more space as the 7 lbs per cubic foot is for professionally loaded shipments. Most people will use more space than professional movers do because of the inexperience in loading containers.
Estimated weight in full containers:
* 20" holds 5,000 to 7,000 lbs.
* 40' Standard holds 10,000 to 12,000 lbs.
* 40' High Cube holds about 12,000 to 15,000 lbs.
* 45' High Cube holds about 16,000 to 21,000 lbs.
Full containers are available in specific locations.
2. Divide the estimated weight by 5 to determine the amount of cubic feet of liftvans. Divide that amount by 196 to determine how many liftvans you will need.
Example: 3,500 lbs. divided by 5 = 500 cubic feet. Then divide by 196. This equals 3 and 1/2 liftvans. You should request 4 liftvans as normal people will use more space than professional movers.